I don’t eat bread that often, mainly because I eat gluten free, and gluten free breads at the store are obscenely priced and they are just too heavy. So I pretty much don’t eat bread…that was until I started making my own flat breads and raw breads. This recipe is one of my favorites, it is gluten free, dairy free, nut free and delicious! I like to make a large batch of the flour blend to have on hand for flatbread or pizza when the mood strikes.
This bread is easily adaptable to your taste buds, I have switched it up and made this as rosemary and garlic, sweet onion, pepper and salt, apple raisin, cherry walnut, basil cheddar, basil parmesan and the list goes on. Go ahead and be creative….what flavor will you make?
Gluten Free Flour Blend
This is enough flour to make 2 flat breads or 2 pizza crusts.
1-1/4 C. Brown rice flour
3/4 C. Sorghum
1/4 C. and 4 tsp. Quinoa flour
2/3 C . Arrowroot flour
1 tsp. Xanthum gum
Place all flour ingredients in a jar, this blend can be used as an all purpose flour blend.
3/4 c. Warm water
1 T. Honey
2-1/4 tsp. Yeast
1 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 tsp. Xanthum gum
1-1/3 C. GF flour blend
1 tsp. Dried basil
1/2 t. Dried oregano
1/4 t. Garlic powder
3/4 t. Salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. To a large bowl add honey and warm water, stir till honey dissolves. Add yeast and set aside for 5-10 minutes.
3. Stir in EVOO, basil, oregano, garlic powder, salt and xanthum gum. Add in flour and mix by hand. The dough will be sticky and wet.
4. Pour a little EVOO into the bowl (about a Tablespoon), and shape dough into a loose ball, being sure to coat it with the oil. Place a towel over the bowl, place in a warm area of the kitchen (away from drafts) and let rise for 20-30 minutes.
5. After dough has risen, oil a cookie sheet and gently stretch dough onto pan in a 12″ x 9″ rectangle.. Place in oven and bake for 13-15 minutes or till golden in color. Remove from pan and cut into squares.