Everyone is talking about green smoothies and green juices, and with good reason, the nutritional benefits are truly outstanding. Kale is no exception, it is a nutritional powerhouse. This highly nutritious food is a member of the cabbage family and related to cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower and collard greens. With a mere 33 calories, one cup of raw kale has:
- Nearly 3 grams of protein
- 2.5 grams of fiber (which helps manage blood sugar and makes you feel full)
- Vitamins A, C, and K
- Folate, a B vitamin that’s key for brain development
- Alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid.
- Lutein and zeaxanthin, nutrients that give kale its deep, dark green coloring and protect against macular degeneration and cataracts Minerals including phosphorus, potassium, calcium, and zinc
- 3:1 carbohydrate-to-protein ratio – an exceptionally high amount of protein for any vegetable.
- It contains all nine essential amino acids.
Kale can have a curly or flat leaf and have tints of blue or red. Each variety of kale has its own unique flavor, so don’t be afraid to try new varieties. I tend to use red Russian kale in smoothies, salads and juices, and curly green kale in soups and salads. With all the amazing nutritional health benefits give kale a try. There are additional recipe links at the end of this post.
Kale Salad Recipe
1 bunch kale, leaves only, chopped
1/2 C. Carrots, chopped
1/2 C. Celery, chopped
1/2 Apple, chopped
3 T. ACV
1 T. Lakanto
2 T. EVOO
1/4 tsp. Dry mustard
1/4 t. Himalayan salt
1/8 t. Black pepper
In a small jar place all vinaigrette ingredients and shake well. Set aside.
Place chopped kale in large bowl, add vinaigrette and massage into kale.
Add remaining ingredients and toss well.
Place in covered container and chill.
When ready to serve, top with chopped nuts, cranberries and your favorite seeds.
Additional Kale Recipes: