If you have a friend or family member with MCS, they are in need of your help to remain healthy. Aside from the emotional support and encouragement you offer, you can also offer the gift of a safe and healthy visit. Everyone with MCS, EI or CI is a unique individual, with a unique set of restrictions to their health. Don’t be afraid to ask them what they need in order to have a safe and enjoyable visit with you. They will be happy to share whatever they can. Listed below are a few basics.
When Visiting Someone With MCS Please…..
1. Stop using any products that are toxic. This includes pesticides, herbicides, insect repellants, etc.
2. Don’t wear anything that is scented. That includes make-up, hair spray, soap, lotion, deodorant, mousse, hair gel, body spray, perfumes, colognes etc.
3. Stop using scented air fresheners in your home and car. Air fresheners release toxic chemicals in the air and get on you and your clothes. Click here for more info.
4. Never wear clothes that have been treated with fabric softener or dryer sheets. These products are highly toxic and have ingredients that are on the EPA Hazardous Waste List. Click here for more info.
5. Become a label reader. A product can be labeled unscented, but many times they have twice the amount of chemicals, because a masking fragrance is added to cover up the original fragrance.
6. Never wear clothes that have been dry cleaned. Even though dry cleaned clothes may not have a fragrance, the chemicals are imbedded in the clothes and last for months.
7. Clean clothes. Consider having a clean set of clothes that you only wear to your friends’ house.
8. Go straight from your home to the home of the person you’re visiting. Remember that you may lead a chemical free life and be fragrance free, but if you stop anywhere on your way, you will pick up chemicals from anywhere you go that will remain on your skin, hair and clothes.
9. Am I okay? Before you enter your friend’s house or hug them, ask if it’s okay. You may think you’re chemical free, but most people with MCS, EI or CI have an unusually keen sense of smell. They may notice something you don’t.