This deep golden soup is as beautiful, as it is delicious. Butternut squash soup is a wonderful comfort food. You can easily make this a vegetarian soup by swapping out the chicken broth for a vegetable broth, and using coconut oil in lieu of ghee.
4 cups of peeled and cubed butternut squash
4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup water
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 Fuji apple, peeled, cored and chopped
2 leeks, washed, trimmed and chopped
2-3 Tbsp. butter or Ghee
1. Melt butter to a medium size saucepan.
2. Add onions and leeks and sauté till lightly browned.
3. Add broth, apples and squash, simmer for about 30 minutes (or till squash is tender).
4. Remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes.
5. Add cooled soup to Vitamix and puree till smooth.
6. Add seasoning to taste. (I added 1 teaspoon of Herbamare seasoning).
7. Reheat and serve or refrigerate for later use.