I miss pizza. It was one of my favorite foods. Its versatile, quick and sorely missed in my household.
I had a hard time finding gluten free flour blends as many contain potatoes, a nightshade that I avoid, or they contain soy.
While I have experimented over the years with many recipes none have really given me that traditional thick chewy crust I love…till now.
I just made this yesterday and had to share the results.
I hope you enjoy the recipe as well.
Gluten Free Flour Blend
1-1/4 C. Bown rice flour
3/4 C. Sorghum
1/4 C. and 4 tsp. Quinoa flour
2/3 C . Arrowroot flour
1 tsp. Xantham gum
Place all flour ingredients in a jar, this blend can be used as an all purpose flour blend.
Pizza Crust Ingredients-This recipe makes one 9 inch pizza crust
3/4 c. Warm water
1 T. Honey
2-1/4 tsp. Yeast
1 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 tsp. Xantham gum
1-1/3 C. GF flour blend
1 tsp. Dried basil
1/2 t. Dried oregano
1/4 t. Garlic powder
3/4 t. Salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, with a pizza stone inside oven.
2. To a large bowl add honey and warm water, stir till honey dissolves. Add yeast and set aside for 5-10 minutes.
3. Stir in EVOO, basil, oregano, garlic powder, salt and xanthum gum. Add in flour and mix by hand. The dough will be sticky and wet.
4. Pour a little EVOO into the bowl (about a Tablespoon), and shape dough into a loose ball, being sure to coat it with the oil. Place a towel over the bowl, place in a warm area of the kitchen (away from drafts) and let rise for 20-30 minutes.
5. Drizzle some olive oil into an 9 inch cake pan. Be sure to evenly spread the oil on the bottom and up the sides. Place the pizza dough in the pan and gently press the dough on the bottom of the pan and up the sides, as high as you would like the crust.
6. Place the pan in the oven and bake the dough for 13-15 minutes. If you get any air bubbles, poke them with a fork. When finished baking, remove from oven and run a butter knife along the edges of the pan. Use a spatula to remove the crust from the pan.
7. Complete your pizza by adding your desired toppings and place pizza on pizza stone to finish baking.
Pizza Crust Before Baking